AMERICAN THEATRE AND DRAMA SOCIETY
American Literature Association
26th Annual Conference
May 21-24, 2015
The Westin Copley Place, Boston, MA
CALL FOR PAPERS
Deadline: January 26, 2015
The American Theatre and Drama Society (ATDS) would like to invite proposals for 15-20 minute papers for two panels at the 26th Annual American Literature Association Conference.
Panel Theme #1: “Libretto as Literature”
This panel invites papers that examine the ways in which musical librettos might be read, theoretically examined, and/or taught as literature. We welcome proposals that:
- Explore the impact of one specific librettist.
- Develop a thematic approach to disparate works.
- Consider new interpretations of a major American librettists’ work.
- Interrogate diverse musical genres or time periods.
- Examine artistic or production practices.
Panel Theme #2: “Across the Pond(s): Adaptation and the Americas”
ATDS recognizes that notions of America and the US encompass migrations of peoples and cultures that overlap and influence one another. Papers for this panel might interrogate:
- The ways in which American works (musical or otherwise) are produced, re-envisioned, and/or received in international venues.
- The dramaturgical process of adaptation of imported work for the American stage.
- How histories, traditions, and literatures of the Americas are incorporated, distorted, or serve as inspiration for other theatre pieces internationally.
ATDS encourages graduate students as well as established scholars to submit 250-word proposals by January 26, 2015 to Dr. Valerie Joyce (email@example.com).
Proposals should include the following items:
– Name, Title (student, faculty, independent scholar) and Academic Affiliation
– Contact Information (email address)
– Title of Paper
– Abstract (please limit abstracts to 250 words)
– A brief CV
– Audiovisual Requests
All presenters must be current members of ATDS or join the organization by March 31, 2015.